9/18/11

Super Swift 2.0

Puch front suspension fork and Puch front drum hub, laced 1X to a vintage 26" single-wall rim. New Michelin PiLOT Sport tires. It is incredible how much work it took me to lace up the front wheel and get the fork to fit that frame. Puch mopeds don't run 26" wheels, and bicycles don't run such large hubs, so I had to source some very unusually sized spokes and build it myself, hence the non-boxed valve stem. The steerer on the fork is too long for the Monark head tube, and the triple-tree style meant I couldn't simply extend the threading to fit.... I spent several hours grinding and filing various bits of metal to rework the top race. Goodness. Somehow throughout all this the carb autonomously developed a slow leak, I had to rebuild the rear wheel and I found no suitable headlight... Evan and I have bounced some ideas around for the light, ranging from using a mammalian skull to a customized coconut. I'm leaning toward the coconut. All the work and jury rigging has paid off––the ride is actually tolerable now thanks to the fork and road slicks, although I do need to retrue the front wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment