9/23/11

A Portrait in the Elevator


As part of my architectural photography class, I took this photograph of a student overseeing a late-night STEM study session. I'd shot his environmental portait earlier in the day, and while we were talking he mentioned that he would be in the building until midnight, helping some younger students cram for their big tests tomorrow. Pleased by his geniality and eagerness to sit for me, I forgot that I needed to get a headshot, too. Much later, I realized my terrible mistake and ran over with my 50mm f/1.4, asking him apologetically for three more minutes of time. He happily agreed, but by that time it was entirely dark outside and the only good lighting was in the elevator. While we were just beginning another student got on with the intent of using the elevator for its proper purpose, so down we went. We all enjoyed the strangeness of the situation. I shot this between the third and second floors, got off on the first, and my subject went back up to the fourth. In a more perfect world, I would have worn a white shirt to lighten his eyes and neck, but overall I'm happy with the photo.

Nikon D200, 50mm f/1.4, 1/30" @ f/4 @ ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment