10/29/12

John Donne Longs for the Real Church


Holy Sonnet XVIII

Show me, dear Christ, Thy spouse, so bright and clear.
What, is it she which on the other shore
Goes richly painted? or which robbed and tore
Laments and mourns in Germany and here?
Sleeps she a thousand, then peeps up one year?
Is she self-truth and errs? now new, now outwore?
Doth she, and did she, and shall she evermore
On one, on seven, or on no hill appear?
Dwells she with us, or like adventuring knights
Frist travail we to seek, and then make love?
Betray, kind husband, Thy spouse to our sights,
And let mine amorous soul court Thy mild Dove,
Who is most true and pleasing to Thee then
When she is embraced and open to most men.


I'm glad I'm not the only one in history who grows weary of mens' spins on God's reality.
I long for truth, I long to live by truth, and I pray that my interpretation of scripture is as God-inspired as the intents of those who wrote it.
Religion should be informed by faith and reality, should be informed by a true relationship with the Ultimate Being, a changed heart and redeemed soul; it is worse than worthless when it stands alone.
There is something more important than actions and rituals, something behind and above them, that gives them their power and value. 
Oh, I hope I see it and don't lose sight.
God is God, forever and unchanging, and all Truth is His. Down with reinterpretations, trends, earthly comfort and convenience in the church! Where I am wrong, correct me, Holy Spirit. Why should we want anything but His pure, unfiltered reality?

No comments:

Post a Comment