9/12/11

ה

  Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end. Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart. Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it. Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain! Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. Confirm to your servant your promise, that you may be feared. Turn away the reproach that I dread, for your rules are good. Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!

I wish I could read this in Hebrew; I know it is almost infinitely more beautiful as an acrostic. Since it has already lost all of its formal qualities in translation, I see no need to retain the visual format of the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment